Completed by Debussy in 1899, the three Nocturnes reveal the aesthetics of a composer who put Nature above Art. Debussy endeavoured to achieve a natural flow and consistency in his music without slavishly copying the sounds of nature. Although Nuages (Clouds), Fêtes (Festivals) and Sirènes (Sirens) are night pieces, they are seen with a view to light and shadow: two optic conditions that influence the music.
The artists give an amazingly transparent and differentiated performance of the music. The present recording should not be missed by any lover of Impressionist music.
MA MERE L’OYE (MOTHER GOOSE)
1. Prelude et Danse du Rouet
2. Pavane de la Belle au bois dormant
3. Petit Poucet
4. Laideronnette, Imperatrice des Pagodes
5. Les entretiens de la Belle et de la Bete
6. Le jardin feerique
3. Sirenes (with Female Chorus)